Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Ox in Training: Hauling Firewood

On a November day when the sky was grey, like the side of a fish, I chunked up a fallen Box Elder tree. After checking out the chainsaw with his usual curiosity, Scout the Ox grazed nearby while Harry the Dog hunted mice in the tall grass.

 We went back for the wagon and Scout the Ox stood patiently while I loaded the two-wheel garden cart that I had converted into a four-wheel wagon by adding the forecart attatchment (see How To Convert a Garden Cart into a Small Wagon to Pull With a Single Ox ).

Scout the Ox pulled the load without difficulty; the cart was a little top-heavy and we did tip it over one time, but otherwise it worked great. I lead him with my lead-stick (see Broomhandle Ox Training Aid because the trail to the woodpile meanders around numerous obstacles, and the like.


The dump function worked well. When we'd get a load to the woodpile I'd trip the dump and have Scout the Ox move the cart ahead. I came back to split and stack the firewood later.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Amy said...

The new background looks nice with the latest pictures :-)

Larry Dake said...

Thanks Amy ---

I cut it out of a picture from out by the pit and tried to fit it in the background, but I haven't figured out how to do it without "tiling" it, but it seems to look OK anyway.

storybrookeripples
LTD

Jussi Leimio said...

It is really nice article, Thanks to share...

modern storage furniture
firewood cart